Red Comet Acceptable Use Policy
Access to and use of Red Comet technology resources is a privilege and should be treated as such by all users. Misuse of the system is considered a violation of the school’s policy and may also violate the law. The following policies apply to all users of Red Comet’s online services.
- Users must use Red Comet accounts and related services for K-12 education purposes only.
- Logins and passwords are provided for the individual while they are affiliated with Red Comet.
Users must protect their password for their account and not share this information with another. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your login information and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your account. You agree to immediately notify Red Comet of any unauthorized use or suspected unauthorized use of your Account or any other breach of security. Red Comet cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with the above requirements.
- Users shall not examine, change or use any account but their own.
- No user may represent themselves as another individual or entity in electronic communication. At no time will users pretend to be another person, company, or entity.
- Users should expect only limited privacy in the contents of their course submissions and communications (with Red Comet teachers, staff, or other students.) Files may be searched if there is reasonable cause that a user has violated Red Comet policies or the law. Investigations will be appropriate and related to the suspected violation. Red Comet will cooperate with external authorities to resolve an inquiry within federal and state law restrictions and the Family Educational Right to Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Red Comet reserves the right, with reasonable cause, to search any user’s account.
- Users shall not deliberately attempt to circumvent tests and procedures when completing coursework. Users shall not intentionally try to delete prior graded submissions.
- Users shall not harass or interfere with any other user’s use of the Red Comet platform and Services.
- Users shall not transmit or distribute course content or other coursework-related material found within the Red Comet platform (other than those that are in the public domain) at any time. Users will not publish or post screenshots, video, text, or other reproductions of content or course-related work from any course on the Red Comet platform. Students shall not store course content or other coursework-related material upon completion of the course.
- Red Comet’s services are to be used only for lawful purposes. Transmission, distribution, or storage of the following are prohibited by law:
- Material protected by any third-party right, including any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, moral right, privacy right, right of publicity, or any other intellectual property or proprietary right
- Materials deemed obscene, defamatory, or those that constitute an illegal threat. This includes any material that is unlawful, harassing, abusive, tortious, threatening, harmful, invasive of another’s privacy, vulgar, defamatory, false, intentionally misleading, trade libelous, pornographic, obscene, patently offensive, promotes racism, bigotry, hatred, is part of political/religious/ideological propaganda.
- Material that promotes racism, bigotry, violence, property damage, or physical/psychological harm of any kind against any group or individual based on their race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual preference, age, disability, or any other category protected by law
- Materials deemed offensive to minors
- Users will not:
- Probe, scan or test the weaknesses of any system or network
- Breach or otherwise bypass any security or authentication measures
- Access, tamper with or use other courses on the Red Comet platform in which they are not enrolled
- Interfere with or disrupt any user, host, or network, for example, by distributing harmful programs or apps or overloading, flooding, or mail‑bombing any part of the platform
- Take apart, decompile or reverse engineer any part of the course or platform.
- Access, search or create accounts on the platform by any means other than through authorized procedures.
- Upload, transmit, distribute to, or through the platform any computer viruses, worms, or software meant to damage or change a computer system or data.
- Send through the Red Comet platform any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, spam, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or any other form of duplicative or unsolicited messages, whether commercial or otherwise.
- Send altered, deceptive, or false source-identifying information, including phishing or spoofing.
- Use the platform to harvest, collect, gather or assemble information or data regarding other users, including staff, teachers’ and students’ e-mail addresses, without their consent.
- Interfere with, disrupt, or create an undue burden on servers or networks connected to the Red Comet platform or services, or violate the regulations, policies, or procedures of such networks
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to coursework on platform
- Use software or automated agents or scripts to produce multiple accounts on the platform, or to generate automated searches, requests, or queries to (or to strip, scrape, or mine data from)
- Red Comet will treat any feedback users provide us as non-confidential and non-proprietary. You agree that you will not submit to Company any information or ideas that you consider confidential or proprietary. When giving feedback, you hereby assign to Company all rights in such Feedback and agree that we shall have the right to use and fully exploit such Feedback and related information in any manner it deems appropriate.
- Red Comet platform may contain links to third-party websites and services (collectively, “Third-Party Links”). Such Third-Party Links are not under the control of Red Comet, and we are not responsible for any Third-Party Links. The company provides access to these Third-Party Links only as a convenience to you. It does not review, approve, monitor, endorse, warrant, or make any representations with regard to Third-Party Links. When you click on any Third-Party Links, the applicable third party’s terms and policies apply, including the third party’s privacy and data gathering practices. You should make whatever investigation you feel necessary or appropriate before proceeding with any transaction in connection with such Third-Party Links.
Any user of Red Comet’s services who violates this appropriate use policy will result in the loss of privileges as well as further disciplinary and/or legal action. In addition, the results of a violation of this policy may also involve disciplinary actions from the student’s home school/school district. All user accounts are the sole property of Red Comet and are provided to the users, organizations, schools, and school districts as a service. The final determination of account status remains with the Red Comet staff and may not be appealed. Should account access be denied for disciplinary reasons, users forfeit all information in the account.