Recommended Grade Level: 9 - 12
This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate, and advanced runners and offers a variety of training schedules for each. In addition to reviewing the fundamental principles of fitness, students learn about goals and motivation, levels of training, running mechanics, safety and injury prevention, appropriate attire, running in the elements, good nutrition and hydration, and effective cross-training. While this course focuses mainly on running for fun and fitness, it also briefly explores the realm of competitive racing. Students conduct fitness assessments and participate in weekly physical activity.
PLEASE NOTE: Course requirements mandate that the student be enrolled in this course for a minimum of 12 weeks. This course requires the student to complete activities over a 12-week period, and these activities are an integral part of the course. Transcripts will NOT be issued if the student does not successfully complete these activities.
If you want to enroll in a course that can be completed sooner (due to graduation or end-of-school-year deadlines), then we suggest that you enroll in another Life Skills / PE / Health course that does not specify a minimum enrollment period.
Although this is an online course, the exercise requirements are anything but virtual!
- You are required to have 12 weeks of physical activity for this course.
- Your weekly workouts must equal at least 3 hours of physical activity accumulated over at least three days of the week.
- You should include elements of cardio, strength, and flexibility training each week, as outlined below.
- In addition to running, one additional cross-training session is required
- Minimum of 90 minutes of walking/running each week
- The 90 minutes must be accumulated through at least 2 different workout sessions
- Running is a cardio workout and your heart rate should be elevated within your target zone (approximately 135-180 bpm)
- Minimum of one 20-minute strength training workout per week
- Remember, you should allow your muscles to rest for at least 48 hours before strength training the same muscles again
- If you want to strength train two days in a row, alternate upper body one day and lower body the next
- Minimum of 5-10 minutes of stretching at the end of every cardio or strength training workout
- Other optional flexibility workouts such as yoga or Pilates can be included as well
*Note: A warm-up and cool down is implied and should be included in every workout session.
WEEKLY RUNNING LOG
Each week you will fill out a Weekly Running Log. Approximately every four weeks (refer to schedule for more information) you will have a Fitness Checkpoint where you will review your progress. In addition, your parent or guardian must submit the parent verification form below. Without this verification you will NOT receive credit for your Weekly Running Log.