This course provides students with an overview of group sports. Students learn about a variety of sports and do an in-depth study of baseball/softball, and volleyball. Students learn the history, rules, and guidelines of each sport, as well as practice specific skills related to each sport. Students also learn about sportsmanship and teamwork. In addition, students study elements of personal fitness, goal setting, sport safety, and sports nutrition. Students conduct a pre- and post-fitness assessment, as well as participate in weekly physical activity.
Although this is an online course, the exercise requirements are anything but virtual!
- You are required to have 12 weeks of physical activity for this course.
- Your weekly workouts must equal at least 3 hours of physical activity accumulated over at least three days of the week.
- You should include elements of cardio, strength, and flexibility training each week, as outlined below.
- Minimum of 90 minutes of cardio per week
- Specify which cardio activities
- Cardio workouts, ideally, can be done every day of the week
- A cardio workout means that your heart rate is elevated within your target zone (approximately 135-180 bpm)
- Minimum of 30 minutes of strength training per week
- Specify which muscles worked and with what equipment
- You should work every major muscle or muscle group at least once during the week
- When strength training you should allow your muscles to rest for at least 48 hours before working the same muscles again
- If you want to strength train every day, alternate upper body one day and lower body the next
- Minimum of 5-10 minutes of stretching at the end of every cardio or strength training workout
- Other optional flexibility workouts such as yoga or Pilates can be included as well
*Note: A warm-up and cool down is implied and should be included in every workout session.
Each week you will fill out a Weekly Fitness Log. Approximately every four weeks (refer to schedule for more information) you will have a Fitness Checkpoint where you will review your progress. In addition, your parent or guardian must submit the parent verification form below. Without this verification you will NOT receive credit for your Weekly Fitness Log.
Strength & Fitness Log Instructions & Sample Schedule
- Weekly Fitness Log Instructions
- Sample Workout Schedule
Strength & Fitness Log
- Weekly Fitness Log (Word Document)
- Weekly Fitness Log (Rich Text Format)
- Weekly Fitness Log (Google Doc)
- Supervisor Verification Form (Word Document)
- Supervisor Verification Form (Rich Text Format)
- Supervisor Verification Form (Google Doc)
Once all of your logs are complete, submit them in the course.
This course is divided into the following units and sections.
UNIT 1: GETTING STARTED
- 1.1: Fitness Assessment & Analysis
- 1.2: Getting Started
UNIT 2: SPORTS CULTURE
- 2.1: Sports History & Culture
- 2.2: Sportsmanship
UNIT 3: NUTRITION & WATER SPORTS
- 3.1: Nutrition & Drug Use
- 3.2: Water Sports
UNIT 4: BASEBALL/SOFTBALL
- 4.1: Baseball/Softball Game Play
- 4.2: Baseball/Softball History & Hand Signs
- 4.3: Baseball/Softball Skills I
- 4.4: Baseball/Softball Skills II
UNIT 5: VOLLEYBALL
- 5.1: Volleyball Guidelines & Game Plan
- 5.2: Volleyball History & Hand Signs
- 5.3: Volleyball Skills I
- 5.4: Volleyball Skills II
UNIT 6: POST ASSESSMENT