This course provides students with an overview of group sports. Students learn about a variety of sports, and an in-depth study of soccer of basketball. Students learn not only the history, rules, and guidelines of each sport, but practice specific skills related to each sport. Students also learn about game strategy and the benefits of sports. In addition, students study elements of personal fitness, goal setting, sport safety, and sports nutrition. Students conduct a pre- and post-fitness assessment, as well as participate in weekly physical activity.
Although this is an online course, the exercise requirements are anything but virtual!
- You are required to have 12 WEEKS of physical activity for this course.
- Your weekly workouts must follow the 3-3-3 Schedule.
- The total time must equal at least three hours of physical activity a week.
- The activity needs to be accumulated over at least three days.
- Students must participate in at least three different types of activities.
- You are encouraged to participate in a variety of physical activities. Refer to the Weekly Fitness Log Instructions for detailed recommendations.
- Minimum of 90 minutes of cardio per week
- Specify which cardio activities
- Cardio workouts, ideally, can be done every day of the week
- A cardio workout means that your heart rate is elevated within your target zone (approximately 135-180 bpm)
- Minimum of 30 minutes of strength training per week
- Specify which muscles worked and with what equipment
- You should work every major muscle or muscle group at least once during the week
- When strength training you should allow your muscles to rest for at least 48 hours before working the same muscles again
- If you want to strength train every day, alternate upper body one day and lower body the next
- Minimum of 5-10 minutes of stretching at the end of every cardio or strength training workout
- Other optional flexibility workouts such as yoga or Pilates can be included as well
*Note: A warm-up and cool down is implied and should be included in every workout session.
Each week you will fill out a Weekly Fitness Log. Approximately every four weeks (refer to schedule for more information) you will have a Fitness Checkpoint where you will review your progress. In addition, your parent or guardian must submit the parent verification form below. Without this verification you will NOT receive credit for your Weekly Fitness Log.
Strength & Fitness Log Instructions & Sample Schedule
- Weekly Fitness Log Instructions
- Sample Workout Schedule
Strength & Fitness Log
- Weekly Fitness Log (Word Document)
- Weekly Fitness Log (Rich Text Format)
- Weekly Fitness Log (Google Doc)
- Supervisor Verification Form (Word Document)
- Supervisor Verification Form (Rich Text Format)
- Supervisor Verification Form (Google Doc)
Once all of your logs are complete, submit them in the course.
- Microsoft word
- PDF Reader
- Power point
- Google Docs
UNIT 1: GETTING STARTED
- 1.1: Fitness Assessment & Analysis
- 1.2: Getting Started
UNIT 2: EXERCISE SAFETY
- 2.1: Creating an Exercise Program
- 2.2: Warm-Up & Cool Down
UNIT 3: SPORTS & STRATEGY
- 3.1: Intro to Team Sports
- 3.2: Game Strategy
UNIT 4: SOCCER
- 4.1: Soccer Guidelines
- 4.2: Soccer Game Play
- 4.3: Soccer Skills I
- 4.4: Soccer Skills II
UNIT 5: BASKETBALL
- 5.1: Basketball Guidelines
- 5.2: Basketball Game Play
- 5.3: Basketball Skills I
- 5.4: Basketball Skills II
UNIT 6: POST ASSESSMENT