This course provides students with an overview of individual sports. Students learn about a variety of sports, yet do an in-depth study of running, walking, hiking, yoga, dance, swimming, biking, and cross-training. Students learn not only the history, rules, and guidelines of each sport, but practice specific skills related to each sport. Students also learn about the components of fitness, the FITT principles, benefits of fitness, safety and technique, and good nutrition. Students conduct fitness assessments and participate in weekly physical activity.
Although this is an online course, the exercise requirements are anything but virtual!
- You are required to have 12 weeks of physical activity for this course.
- Your weekly workouts must equal at least 3 hours of physical activity accumulated over at least three days of the week.
- You should include elements of cardio, strength, and flexibility training each week, as outlined below.
- Minimum of 90 minutes of cardio per week
- Specify which cardio activities
- Cardio workouts, ideally, can be done every day of the week
- A cardio workout means that your heart rate is elevated within your target zone (approximately 135-180 bpm)
- Minimum of 30 minutes of strength training per week
- Specify which muscles worked and with what equipment
- You should work every major muscle or muscle group at least once during the week
- When strength training you should allow your muscles to rest for at least 48 hours before working the same muscles again
- If you want to strength train every day, alternate upper body one day and lower body the next
- Minimum of 5-10 minutes of stretching at the end of every cardio or strength training workout
- Other optional flexibility workouts such as yoga or Pilates can be included as well
*Note: A warm-up and cool down is implied and should be included in every workout session.
Each week you will fill out a Weekly Fitness Log. Approximately every four weeks (refer to schedule for more information) you will have a Fitness Checkpoint where you will review your progress. In addition, your parent or guardian must submit the parent verification form below. Without this verification you will NOT receive credit for your Weekly Fitness Log.
Strength & Fitness Log Instructions & Sample Schedule
- Weekly Fitness Log Instructions
- Sample Workout Schedule
Strength & Fitness Log
- Weekly Fitness Log (Word Document)
- Weekly Fitness Log (Rich Text Format)
- Weekly Fitness Log (Google Doc)
- Supervisor Verification Form (Word Document)
- Supervisor Verification Form (Rich Text Format)
- Supervisor Verification Form (Google Doc)
Once all of your logs are complete, submit them in the course. Refer here for more information about submitting assignments.
This course is divided into the following Units and Sections.
Unit 1: Getting Started
- 1.1: Fitness Assessment & Analysis
- 1.2: Getting Started
- 1.3: Safety & Injury Prevention
Unit 2: Fitness Principles
- 2.1: Components of Fitness
- 2.2: Principles of Fitness
- 2.3: Principles of Movement
Unit 3: Lifetime Sports I
- 3.1: Individual Sports
- 3.2: Walking & Running
- 3.3: Strength Training
Unit 4: Lifetime Sports II
- 4.1: Yoga
- 4.2: Cycling
- 4.3” Dance
Unit 5: Total Health
- 5.1: Cross-Training
- 5.2: Nutrition
Unit 6: Post Assessment