Grade 8 Social Studies (US History)
Grade 8 Social Studies (US History)
Recommended Grade Level: This course is recommended for 8th grade, but it is open to all middle school grade levels.
Learning about history allows people to see how far we have come and what awaits us on our path to the future. In this course, students will explore the history of the United States and analyze the cause and effect in historical events. They will investigate history by using the tools of a historian to examine the historical, geographic, political, economic, and sociological events that influenced the development of the United States. Students will imagine what it was like to live in the past by reading the stories from the people who experienced it. This course begins with the engaging stories of what brought the earliest American colonists to the New World and ends with the struggles to repair the United States following the Civil War. Engaging in this study allows students to recognize the themes of history that span across centuries and leads to a greater appreciation of the development of the United States and the resulting impact on world history.
- Grade 7 Social Studies (Civics) (Recommended)
You will need the following items to complete this course:
- Windows Media Player
- Apple iTunes
Module 01: Settlement
- 01.00 Welcome to United States History!
- 01.01 Introduction to Settlement
- 01.02 America’s Geography
- 01.03 Coming to America
- 01.04 Colonial Regions
- 01.04 Colonial Regions Advanced
- 01.05 Economics and Slavery
- 01.06 The Historian’s Clues
- 01.07 Set Sail Discussion-Based Assessment
- 01.08 Module One Exam
Module 02: Independence
- 02.00 Introduction to Independence
- 02.01 Impact of Colonization
- 02.02 French and Indian War
- 02.03 Colonial Unity
- 02.03 Colonial Unity Advanced
- 02.04 Give Me Liberty
- 02.05 Revolutionary Celebrities
- 02.06 Supporters of the War
- 02.07 War
- 02.08 Set Sail Discussion-Based Assessment
- 02.09 Module Two Exam
Module 03: Nationalism
- 03.00 Introduction to Nationalism
- 03.01 Interpreting History
- 03.02 Recipe for America
- 03.03 Who has the Power?
- 03.04 We Can Make a Difference!
- 03.04 We Can Make a Difference! Advanced
- 03.05 For the Common Good
- 03.06 Know Your Rights!
- 03.07 Set Sail Discussion-Based Assessment
- 03.08 Module Three Exam
Module 04: Growth
- 04.00 Introduction to Growth
- 04.01 Making a President
- 04.01 Making a President Advanced
- 04.02 A Worthy Successor
- 04.03 American Voices
- 04.04 Jefferson Brings Change!
- 04.05 Heroes of the Wild
- 04.06 We Will Not Fall!
- 04.07 Set Sail Discussion-Based Assessment and Review
- 04.08 Segment One Exam Part One
- 04.08 Segment One Exam Part Two
- 04.09 Advanced Segment One Exam Part One
- 04.09 Advanced Segment One Exam Part Two
Module 05: Movement
- 05.00 Introduction to Movement
- 05.01 It’s Manifest Destiny!
- 05.01 It’s Manifest Destiny! Advanced
- 05.02 A Native Dilemma
- 05.03 Keep the Peace
- 05.04 New Land!
- 05.05 Train’s Leavin’!
- 05.06 Friend or Foe, Mexico?
- 05.07 Set Sail Discussion-Based Assessment
- 05.08 Module Five Exam
Module 06: Advances
- 06.00 Introduction to Advances
- 06.01 Innovations
- 06.01 Innovations Advanced
- 06.02 Factory Workers
- 06.03 Growing Cities!
- 06.04 A Southern View
- 06.05 Jacksonian Democracy
- 06.06 War on the Bank!
- 06.07 Set Sail Discussion-Based Assessment
- 06.08 Module Six Exam
Module 07: Ideas
- 07.00 Introduction to Ideas
- 07.01 Are You Awake?
- 07.02 Inside Slavery
- 07.03 Join the Resistance!
- 07.04 Her Rights
- 07.05 The Mighty Pen
- 07.05 The Mighty Pen Advanced
- 07.06 Bring on the Reform!
- 07.07 Set Sail Discussion-Based Assessment
- 07.08 Module Seven Exam
Module 08: Conflict
- 08.00 Introduction to Conflict
- 08.01 A Nation Divided
- 08.02 Taking Sides
- 08.03 Shots Fired!
- 08.03 Shots Fired! Advanced
- 08.04 The Cost of Conflict
- 08.05 Emancipation
- 08.06 Reconstruction
- 08.07 Set Sail Discussion-Based Assessment and Review
- 08.08 Segment Two Exam Part One
- 08.08 Segment Two Exam Part Two
- 08.09 Advanced Segment Two Exam Part One
- 08.09 Advanced Segment Two Exam Part Two