In this course students will explore concepts involving personal fitness, team sports, dual sports, and individual and lifetime sports. Students will focus on health-related fitness as they set goals and develop a program to improve their fitness level through cardio, strength, and flexibility training. In addition, they will learn about biomechanics and movement concepts, as they enhance their level of skill-related fitness. Students will learn about game play concepts and specifically investigate the rules, guidelines, and skills pertaining to soccer, softball, volleyball, tennis, walking and running, dance, and yoga.
Although this is an online course, the exercise requirements are anything but virtual!
- You are required to have 12 weeks of physical activity for this course.
- Your weekly workouts must equal at least 3 hours of physical activity accumulated over at least three days of the week.
- You should include elements of cardio, strength, and flexibility training each week, as outlined below.
- Minimum of 90 minutes of cardio per week
- Specify which cardio activities
- Cardio workouts, ideally, can be done every day of the week
- A cardio workout means that your heart rate is elevated within your target zone (approximately 135-180 bpm)
- Minimum of 30 minutes of strength training per week
- Specify which muscles worked and with what equipment
- You should work every major muscle or muscle group at least once during the week
- When strength training you should allow your muscles to rest for at least 48 hours before working the same muscles again
- If you want to strength train every day, alternate upper body one day and lower body the next
- Minimum of 5-10 minutes of stretching at the end of every cardio or strength training workout
- Other optional flexibility workouts such as yoga or Pilates can be included as well
*Note: A warm-up and cool down is implied and should be included in every workout session.
Each week you will fill out a Weekly Fitness Log. Approximately every four weeks (refer to schedule for more information) you will have a Fitness Checkpoint where you will review your progress. In addition, your parent or guardian must submit the Supervisor Verification form below. Without this verification you will NOT receive credit for your Weekly Fitness Log.
Fitness Log Instructions & Sample Schedule
- Fitness Log Instructions
- Sample Workout Schedule
Weekly Fitness Log
- Fitness Log (Word Document)
- Fitness Log (Rich Text Format)
- Fitness Log (Google Doc)
- Supervisor Verification Form (Word Document)
- Supervisor Verification Form (Rich Text Format)
- Supervisor Verification Form (Google Doc)
This course is divided into the following Units and Sections.
Unit 1: Getting Started
- 1.1 Fitness Assessment & Analysis
- 1.2 Starting an Exercise Program
- 1.3 Safety & Technique
Unit 2: Health-Related Fitness
- 2.1 Cardiovascular Fitness
- 2.2 Nutrition
- 2.3 Muscular Fitness & Flexibility
Unit 3: Skill-Related Fitness
- 3.1 Principles of Movement
- 3.2 Game Play
Unit 4: Team Sports
- 4.1 Soccer
- 4.2 Baseball/ Softball
- 4.3 Volleyball
Unit 5: Dual & Individual Sports
- 5.1 Tennis
- 5.2 Walking, Hiking, & Running
- 5.3 Dance, Yoga, & Pilates
Unit 6: Post Assessment