This course provides students with an overview of individual sports. Students learn about a variety of sports, yet do an in-depth study of running, walking, strength training, yoga, Pilates, dance, water sports, and cross-training. Students learn the history, rules, and guidelines of each sport, and practice specific skills related to each sport. Students also learn about the components of fitness, FITT principles, benefits of fitness, safety and technique, and good nutrition. Students conduct fitness assessments and participate in weekly physical activity.
Although this is an online course, the exercise requirements are anything but virtual!
- You are required to have 12 WEEKS of physical activity for this course.
- Your weekly workouts must follow the 3-3-3 Schedule.
- The total time must equal at least three hours of physical activity a week.
- The activity needs to be accumulated over at least three days.
- Students must participate in at least three different types of activities.
- You are encouraged to participate in a variety of physical activities. Refer to the Weekly Fitness Log Instructions for detailed recommendations.
- Minimum of 90 minutes of cardio per week
- Specify which cardio activities
- Cardio workouts, ideally, can be done every day of the week
- A cardio workout means that your heart rate is elevated within your target zone (approximately 135-180 bpm)
- Minimum of 30 minutes of strength training per week
- Specify which muscles worked and with what equipment
- You should work every major muscle or muscle group at least once during the week
- When strength training you should allow your muscles to rest for at least 48 hours before working the same muscles again
- If you want to strength train every day, alternate upper body one day and lower body the next
- Minimum of 5-10 minutes of stretching at the end of every cardio or strength training workout
- Other optional flexibility workouts such as yoga or Pilates can be included as well
*Note: A warm-up and cool down is implied and should be included in every workout session.
Each week you will fill out a Weekly Fitness Log. Approximately every four weeks (refer to schedule for more information), you will have a Fitness Checkpoint where you will review your progress. In addition, your parent or guardian must submit the parent verification form below. Without this verification you will NOT receive credit for your Weekly Fitness Log.
- Weekly Fitness Log
- Weekly Fitness Log Instructions
- Student Checkpoint
- Supervisor Verification
- Sample Workout Schedule
This course is divided into the following units and sections.
UNIT 1: GETTING STARTED
- 1.1: Fitness Assessment
- 1.2: Goal Setting
- 1.3: Getting Started
UNIT 2: MOVEMENT & SAFETY
- 2.1: Warm-Up & Cool Down
- 2.2: Safety
- 2.3: Principles of Movement
UNIT 3: LIFETIME SPORTS
- 3.1: Individual Sports
- 3.2: Team Sports
UNIT 4: WALKING & RUNNING
- 4.1: Walking & Hiking
- 4.2: Running
UNIT 5: DANCE
- 5.1: Rhythm & Dance
- 5.2: Square Dance
UNIT 6: YOGA
- 6.1: Types of Yoga
- 6.2: Yoga Benefits & Techniques
UNIT 7: POST ASSESSMENT